10.13.2011

Yummy Chicken Salad Recipe

I'm not a big fan of mayo -- most brands at the store have ingredients I can't pronounce, plus they are usually high in fat/calories.  So I do something kind of crazy when I make my chicken salad, I substitute sour cream for mayo! 

Smokey Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
  • Smoked chicken chunks (I like to brine a whole chicken in a salt solution for 5+ hours, then smoke it in my smoker for 2+ hours)
  •  2-4T sour cream (I love to buy fresh sour cream from a local farmer) 
  • 1-2 t plain yellow mustard
  • chopped celery
  • optional add-ins -- choose one or several:  chopped nuts, chopped apples, craisins, diced mango, chopped grapes, etc

Directions:
  • Mix sour cream and mustard.  
  • Add chicken and celery and mix thoroughly.  

Serve with lettuce and tomato on whole grain bread, in a pita pocket, or rolled up in a tortilla!