- 2 1/2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1" pieces, and steamed
- 1 lg zucchini, chopped and steamed
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped & steamed
- 2 finely chopped scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 10" deep-dish pie plate with olive oil.
- To make the crust: In a large bowl, mix the rice, cheese, and egg whites or egg substitute. Press evenly in the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes.
- To make the filling: Whisk together eggs, cornstarch, salt, and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle the cheese and veggies over the baked crust. Pour in the egg mixture, stirring gently to blend slightly. Bake for 45 minutes, or until firm in the center. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.