10.06.2011

My weight loss journey.....

In April of this year, I decided that I would no longer waste away my life.  I weighed in at my heaviest number and was determined to get healthy.

But what does healthy mean to me?  Instead of choosing a specific weight, I have decided to make a healthy BMI my goal, which means it must be under 25.  I began at a BMI of 32, and decided to give myself a full year to lose the weight.

The First 30 Days
I started with Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred.  I made a commitment to do her video every day for 30 days back in May.  I've heard that anything you do for 21 days becomes a habit.  If I can really work out every day, maybe this will become a habit for me.  (Secretly I didn't believe working out would ever become something I would enjoy to do, but I was hoping for the best!)

I also committed to using www.myfitnesspal.com daily to record my calories.  Eating 1400 calories per day seemed nearly impossible.  Instead of switching to fat-free and sugar free, though, I made the decision to eat "clean".  I wanted to cook the same food for my children and my husband that I was going to eat.  This had to be a long-term thing for me, so a complete renovation of our pantry and fridge began back in April.

After The Initial 30 Days
After I successfully completed the 30 Day Shred, I noticed a very strange thing:  I actually wanted to workout daily!  I ordered Jillian's Ripped in 30 next.  Then it was Beachbody's TurboJam, and then I even began the Couch 2 5K program!

I've brought my calories down to 1200 daily, and try to exercise every day, or at least 5 times a week.  I've also read Made to Crave by Lysa Terkherst, and completed her 21 Day Devotional three times!  I discovered that I had a food addiction, and that I have to fight it.  Filling up on whole foods like organic fruits and veggies, and trying new healthy recipes that my entire family enjoys has changed my life!  I finally have freedom in my eating!  Diet IS a four-letter word.  I am not on a specific diet, other than counting calories. 

We eat healthy food.  Do I "cheat" and eat "bad" things every now and then?  YES!  I haven't restricted anything 100% from my diet.  If I eat a cupcake, I work out extra, or watch my calories a little closer the next day.  This is what has set me free from my food addiction.  If I am "allowed" to have whatever I want in moderation, I don't crave the "bad" stuff anymore!

At the end of August, I signed up to be a Team Beachbody coach, and now I'm preparing to become a certified personal trainer.  This is the same girl who never played sports in school and who sat on the couch watching exercise videos instead of doing them!  No longer, though.  I tell people, "It's like a crazy fitness lady has invaded my body and I'm NOT letting her out."

The Results
So it's been 6 months and this is what I have accomplished:
  • Completed 30 Day Shred (twice).
  • Completed Ripped in 30.
  • Completed 23 days of Turbo Jam.
  • Completed 3 different 30 Day Challenges with friends.
  • Brought my BMI from 32 to 27.
  • Lost 38 pounds and 8" off my waist (!!).
  • Brought my percent of body fat from 45% to 28%.
  • Changed my eating habits and drastically transformed my entire family's eating habits.
  • Run 2.8 miles in 30 minutes (on an elliptical).

Your Challenge
I'm here to tell you that if I can lose weight and be successful working out, you can too!  Join me in this journey...make a commitment to spend the next 30 days eating less and working out (even just 20 minutes a day).  I promise you will see results!  If you are willing to accept this challenge, comment on this post and let me know.