What do you do with some leftover sweet potatoes? Make sweet potato cornbread muffins, of course! I figured I could make a healthy version to go with our chicken chili tonight, and it turned out to be a success at less than 80 calories per muffin. These are by no means a sweet muffin, but a little teaspoon of apple butter on top can fix that and turn it into a dessert.
- 1 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/4 cup ground cornmeal
- 3 tsp turbinado sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 T natural apple butter
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 T butter, melted & cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease 24 muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pureed sweet potato flesh, buttermilk, beaten egg, apple butter and melted butter.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet just until combined. Pour batter into prepared tins.
- Bake until the cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes.
- 78 calories each
- 3 g fat
adapted from recipe here