10.28.2011

Butternut Squash Soup


I love fall:  the smells, the weather, the food, sweaters/jeans/boots, and all of the time with family and friends. It's no wonder I'm always looking for soup recipes to try, and now that I have a VitaMix blender, it's even easier to make my own soups!  By blending in the VitaMix, the soup is even heated to steaming in less than 10 minutes.

For today's soup, I adapted the recipe from my VitaMix blender's cookbook.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 peeled, cored quartered Fuji apple
  • 1/4 yellow onion, peeled
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp gound white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 T honey
  • 2 cups cooked butternut squash
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients into your VitaMix blender EXCEPT the cream.  
  2. Start on variable speed 4, quickly moving up to 10 and then on high.  Blend (vented) until steam escapes the top (approx 5-6 min).
  3. Remove lid plug and pour in heavy cream.  Blend another 20 sec or so.