- strawberry cake mix
- egg substitute: mix 3 T ground flax seeds with 9 T (approx 2/3 c) water until it gels
- 1/2 c cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 c almond meal
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 c applesauce
- 2 t vanilla
- 1 c water (or more if your mix is too dry)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 24 muffin tins (or 48 mini muffin tins) with coconut oil or spread.
- Create your egg substitute with the flax seeds and water in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, blend cake mix, cocoa, almond meal, and unsweetened coconut together. Add egg mixture, applesauce, vanilla and water. Stir until blended, but do NOT overmix. If your batter is too thick, carefully add a tablespoon or two of water at a time until batter consistency.
- Spoon out batter into muffin tins and bake for 18-20 min on 350. (Test doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center. If no batter sticks to the toothpick, cupcakes are done.)
I've been reading about how to make "buttercream" frosting with coconut oil instead of butter, but I don't have enough on hand to try that. I guess I know what I'll be getting at the store next time! (I'll update soon with a picture.)
Speaking of vegan recipes.....Beachbody has come out with a Tropical Strawberry Shakeology that will be available for purchase on Valentine's Day! Contact me for more info or to be reminded of when it's available.