11.24.2011

Cranberry Pineapple Bread Pudding

Happy Thanksgiving!  

I am thankful for so many things:  my family, a house, my husband's job, a healthier lifestyle (43 lbs lighter!), and the ability to stay home and homeschool our children.   

Today, I spent the morning working out with my husband to P90X One on One and Turbo Jam!  I was supposed to run the Turkey Trot downtown (that I've been training for!), but an earache wasn't something I thought I should run with in this cooler weather.  So instead, my wonderful husband worked out with me.

Around 10 this morning, I began the final prep for our special meal.  Our menu included:  A brined turkey, whipped sweet potatoes with pecans, brussel sprouts with caramelized onions, homemade yeast rolls, dressing, gravy, apple-cranberry relish, and my absolute favorite dish, Cranberry Pineapple Bread Pudding!  I couldn't find a recipe I really liked, so I experimented and we were all really happy with the results.


CRANBERRY PINEAPPLE BREAD PUDDING

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 4 eggs, room temp
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 10 slices Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread, cubed
  • 1 3/4 c milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 c dried cranberries
  • 3/4 c walnuts

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease ceramic or glass baking dish.  (I used Olivio spread.)
  2. Add vanilla to milk, set aside.
  3. Beat melted butter, eggs and sugar, set aside.
  4. Sprinkle spices over bread, cranberries, and pineapple; toss until well combined and add to greased baking dish.
  5. Pour vanilla milk over bread mixture; gently mix.
  6. Add egg mixture; gently mix until all is combined.
  7. Sprinkle walnuts and more cinnamon on top.
  8. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
DISCLAIMER:  This is not a healthy & fit recipe!  This is a special holiday treat.  I do not believe in starving myself to get healthy.  I believe it's best to eat whole, homemade foods in moderation, combined with exercise.  I worked out twice today and feel NO guilt at all for eating this yummy treat AND the pumpkin pie with homemade vanilla whipped cream. 

I'm linking up to:
Weekend Bloggy Reading